Ask me anything about Audis! - Page 3 - Audi Forum - Audi Forums for the A4, S4, TT, A3, A6 and more!


Eastern Canada discussion People of the East lead the discussion

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #21
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billrh View Post
hey there,
I have just picked up a 2009 q5 with 340,000km on it.
its in great shape and runs well.
problems:
-Amp dead, how do I get it out to replace?
-Steering is like driving with no power, is it done or can I adjust it somehow?
-rides as stiff as a go-kart! can I change that?
Without drive select.
Amp
Those model year Q5s are infamous for dead amps. They are located in the rear right under a side panel...problem is Audi decided to have a sunroof drain right near the amp. So what happens is water drips on the amp and shorts it. Not hard to remove but very expensive (dealer item 1300$+). Removal is fairly simply...just be careful when removing the fibre optic cable

Steering
Does the steering system make sounds when you crank the wheel? Have you checked power steering fluid levels? Is the system leaking? You may have issues with the steering pump and/or rack.

Ride
Is the ride very stiff/hard? If the shocks/struts have not been replaced at those KM, more than likely that is your problem.
MotorFabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #22
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Morin-Heights, Qc
Posts: 5
Billrh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

The ride is very stiff, but that's the first time I've heard someone say they are worn.
No noise or leak from Rack.
Billrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #23
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billrh View Post
The ride is very stiff, but that's the first time I've heard someone say they are worn.
No noise or leak from Rack.
Do you have a service history for the vehicle? If the shocks/struts/springs have never been changed and now the car is at 340K, I am willing to bet that the stiff ride is related to those components. Do you hear clunks/clicks over bumps?

Have you checked the condition of the power steering fluid? The Q5s do have power-assisted steering...at low speeds, it should be effortless. At highway speeds, there you will notice a lot more feedback from the wheel. Does your model have the Servotronic?
MotorFabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #24
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

No more questions? These are Audis...theres always something up with them
MotorFabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: GTA
Posts: 15
breadsA6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

I sent you a pm with regards to a question.

But, actually have another question for a buddy of mine who has a 2004 A4 1.8T Avant.

He is getting alot of air from where his windshield meets his dash. The windshield has not been replaced and with VAGCOM we've recalibrated the air dampeners, still a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
breadsA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #26
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadsA6 View Post
I sent you a pm with regards to a question.

But, actually have another question for a buddy of mine who has a 2004 A4 1.8T Avant.

He is getting alot of air from where his windshield meets his dash. The windshield has not been replaced and with VAGCOM we've recalibrated the air dampeners, still a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Check your PM!

To help me here, can you clarify what you mean by recalibrating the air dampener? If we are taking about the same dampener, its a resonance dampener.
Additionally, does the air flow into the cabin increase with the speed of the car? Does it seem as if air is being emitted from the vents or the seals around the windshield?
Finally, has he recently done any work to his wiper motor/arms/cabin filter?
MotorFabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #27
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: GTA
Posts: 15
breadsA6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorFabrik View Post
Check your PM!

To help me here, can you clarify what you mean by recalibrating the air dampener? If we are taking about the same dampener, its a resonance dampener.
Additionally, does the air flow into the cabin increase with the speed of the car? Does it seem as if air is being emitted from the vents or the seals around the windshield?
Finally, has he recently done any work to his wiper motor/arms/cabin filter?
We used VCDS to go to the HVAC controller portion and it went through all of the air vents and you could hear the flaps open and close. I'm assuming these are the air dampeners ( or they may be called something different)

Yes, more speed, more air. It seems to be coming from around the windshield portion in front of the driver and central portion of the dash.

He has not done any work to wiper motors/arms/cabin filter that I know of, but I'll confirm with him tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
breadsA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #28
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 17
phoenixstar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

Hi,
What information can you provide with respect to oil consumption issues with the 2.0T's? I've got a 2012 A5 and recently saw the oil level indicator drop a couple of notches. (It seems each notch of the oil level indicator is about 1/8 of the entire bar - so does this mean 1/4 of a litre consumed?) I've been researching which oil type/brand to use to prevent oil consumption as much as possible. I've read that some have had success with Mobil1 0w40 or Liqui-Moly 5w40 or Motul 8100 x-cess 5w40. There is thread on another forum where someone had run experiments with a few different oil brands. His results were as follows:

5W40 - Liqui Moly ---> 5000 miles/quart
5W40 - Pennzoil Euro spec ---> 3000 miles/quart
5W40 - Pennzoil US Full syn -> 600-900 miles/quart
5W40 - Total (ELF) ---> 3000 miles/quart
5W40 - Amzoil (mid SAP) ---> Still testing
5W40 - Amzoil (full SAP) ---> To be tested
5W40 - Motul ---> To be tested
0W40 - Mobil (cheap are Wal-Mart) ---> To be tested

Do you have any opinions or recommendations?

Thanks.
phoenixstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #29
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadsA6 View Post
We used VCDS to go to the HVAC controller portion and it went through all of the air vents and you could hear the flaps open and close. I'm assuming these are the air dampeners ( or they may be called something different)

Yes, more speed, more air. It seems to be coming from around the windshield portion in front of the driver and central portion of the dash.

He has not done any work to wiper motors/arms/cabin filter that I know of, but I'll confirm with him tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
No problem!

Those are just called flaps

If you can also check if the cabin filter cover is properly secured that would be great just to rule it out.
MotorFabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #30
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ask me anything about Audis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixstar View Post
Hi,
What information can you provide with respect to oil consumption issues with the 2.0T's? I've got a 2012 A5 and recently saw the oil level indicator drop a couple of notches. (It seems each notch of the oil level indicator is about 1/8 of the entire bar - so does this mean 1/4 of a litre consumed?) I've been researching which oil type/brand to use to prevent oil consumption as much as possible. I've read that some have had success with Mobil1 0w40 or Liqui-Moly 5w40 or Motul 8100 x-cess 5w40. There is thread on another forum where someone had run experiments with a few different oil brands. His results were as follows:

5W40 - Liqui Moly ---> 5000 miles/quart
5W40 - Pennzoil Euro spec ---> 3000 miles/quart
5W40 - Pennzoil US Full syn -> 600-900 miles/quart
5W40 - Total (ELF) ---> 3000 miles/quart
5W40 - Amzoil (mid SAP) ---> Still testing
5W40 - Amzoil (full SAP) ---> To be tested
5W40 - Motul ---> To be tested
0W40 - Mobil (cheap are Wal-Mart) ---> To be tested

Do you have any opinions or recommendations?

Thanks.
Hey there,

Yes you are correct in that approx. 1/4 has been consumed. The oil consumption issue does exist on the 2.0T motors; however there are ways to mitigate it. Doing oil changes much more frequent than the Audi 15K interval (7K max) and warming up the car before driving off are the two biggest. If you follow the Audi 15K interval, by the time you actually change your oil, its so contaminated with fuel that it starts to eat away at the seals.
We've had good experience with the Liqui-Moly and Motul 5w-40. For our customers who burn excessive oil, moving up to 10w-60 sometimes helps.

Couple of questions if you dont mind?
When was your last oil change and how frequent do you change it? How many KM have you driven before noticing the drop on the indicator? What sort of oil are you currently using?
MotorFabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for 5x112 18" vmr,bbs,rims or anything similiar? ehab-s4 Audi parts for sale & wanted. 0 03-06-2011 07:52 PM
Do you tow anything with your A4? Mikel A4-B7 - (Typ 8E/8H, 20052008) 9 12-08-2010 02:23 AM
Anything better than a 5.6% lease rate? Big-O Q5 - Q7 9 11-05-2010 09:14 PM
TheBuyersNET - NEGOTIATE CARS, VACATIONS, TV's or JUST ANYTHING! JOIN FREE! TheBuyersNET.com Audi Mailing List 0 12-02-2006 09:50 AM
TheBuyersNET - NEGOTIATE CARS, VACATIONS, TV's or JUST ANYTHING! JOIN FREE! TheBuyersNET Audi Mailing List 0 11-29-2006 02:06 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.