Vinyl wrap vs Paint job - Audi Forum - Audi Forums for the A4, S4, TT, A3, A6 and more!

Western Canada discussion People of the West lead the discussion

Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
  #1  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medicine Hat, AB
Posts: 7
Brax is on a distinguished road
Question Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

My 03 TT is the factory red, it seems faded even with a good wash and detail, multiple chips and a few dents. I'm contemplating doing either a full vinyl wrap in white, get it redone in white, or if at the very least get everything touched up in the same factory red.
Would any of you guys have unbiased opinions on full vinyl wraps, first hand experience with them, possibly even good places to go to (Alberta). As well any people's experiences with having a completely different colored paint job, what prep you did and how much it ended up costing.
As for anything I left out, I'm always wanting more knowledge, feel free to let me know anything helpful.

Last edited by Brax; 02-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Brax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
  #2  
Audi Forum - Posts like an S4
 
Tim$2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 207
Tim$2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Changing the color via paint job is lots of work and expensive. Exact cost I have no idea but it will be many times more than a vinyl wrap for sure. A really good polish and wax may bring it back to a better shine but red is always the color that fades the fastest. Absorbs the most UV.
Tim$2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM
  #3  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medicine Hat, AB
Posts: 7
Brax is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Originally Posted by Tim$2 View Post
Changing the color via paint job is lots of work and expensive. Exact cost I have no idea but it will be many times more than a vinyl wrap for sure. A really good polish and wax may bring it back to a better shine but red is always the color that fades the fastest. Absorbs the most UV.
I'm sad to hear that about the red... I know the vinyl would cost far less than the paint, but if I do end up doing a full paint I would definitely do my homework on prep work and do as much as I could. But I've just heard some horror stories of full body vinyl wraps and was hoping for some info on the end-product itself.
Brax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 AM
  #4  
Audi Forum - Posts like an S4
 
Tim$2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 207
Tim$2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

I'm planning to get my bike wrapped in the spring but that's maybe to long from now to be a useful review for you. If you go for the wrap before I do I'd like to hear about it for sure.
Tim$2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 AM
  #5  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
ASDBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Van.
Posts: 35
ASDBS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

vinyl is around 3,000$ (in Van if you pay someone)
but you can get material for around 1,000$ and do it yourself.
It's good because you can change colours ever 5 or so years as your preferences change.
but....
a nice paint job is always better then vinyl.
ASDBS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM
  #6  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A3
 
13S4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 94
13S4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Originally Posted by ASDBS View Post
vinyl is around 3,000$ (in Van if you pay someone)
but you can get material for around 1,000$ and do it yourself.
It's good because you can change colours ever 5 or so years as your preferences change.
but....
a nice paint job is always better then vinyl.
I spent over an hour yesterday trying to put vinyl on my window trim and eventually gave up. It's REALLY hard to make it look clean. I couldn't imagine doing an entire car. If you are going to do it, definitely pay a professional.
13S4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
  #7  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
ASDBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Van.
Posts: 35
ASDBS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Originally Posted by 13S4 View Post
I spent over an hour yesterday trying to put vinyl on my window trim and eventually gave up. It's REALLY hard to make it look clean. I couldn't imagine doing an entire car. If you are going to do it, definitely pay a professional.
I would use PlastiDip for your window trim
using vinyl requires lots of patience.
I have no patience though
ASDBS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
  #8  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medicine Hat, AB
Posts: 7
Brax is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Well I guess this thread is bogus now as the TT decided to die today... probably be lucky to afford to spray paint my car after the repairs on this.
Brax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
  #9  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A3
 
Roger b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto ontario canada
Posts: 91
Roger b is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Sorry to hear that and hope it works out for you.
Roger b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM
  #10  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
ASDBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Van.
Posts: 35
ASDBS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vinyl wrap vs Paint job

Originally Posted by Brax View Post
Well I guess this thread is bogus now as the TT decided to die today... probably be lucky to afford to spray paint my car after the repairs on this.
damn sorry to hear that
ASDBS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tomrava4
A6-C6 - (Typ 4F, 20042011)
1
03-01-2011 08:25 PM
Alan_G_03_TT
MK1 Audi TT - 19982006
11
06-29-2010 10:30 PM
1move
Audi S/RS Models
5
10-09-2008 10:05 AM
eMoney
Exterior & Body Mods
4
06-06-2008 04:36 PM
Dave LaCourse
Audi Mailing List
0
10-18-2006 03:40 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: