Esp light? 2004 a4 - Audi Forum - Audi Forums for the A4, S4, TT, A3, A6 and more!

New Member Introductions Drop by and tell us a little bit about yourself, we promise not to bite

Esp light? 2004 a4

Reply

 
 
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM
  #1  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto Ont
Posts: 3
Artur is on a distinguished road
Default Esp light? 2004 a4

Hello I have 2004 audi a4 and my Esp light is on most of the time and my rpm are high and all over the place and the car pulls to the right a little could it be the speed sensor. Can the speed sensor really cause the rpm to be of??? and I've been getting a burning smell from the middle of my car

Thanks!!
Artur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 PM
  #2  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Esp light? 2004 a4

Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Hello I have 2004 audi a4 and my Esp light is on most of the time and my rpm are high and all over the place and the car pulls to the right a little could it be the speed sensor. Can the speed sensor really cause the rpm to be of??? and I've been getting a burning smell from the middle of my car

Thanks!!
Hey Artur,

What motor...1.8T or 3.0L? Do you have a CEL light on?

The issues you describe are not necessarily a speed sensor. The ESP light and the revs being all over the place can be triggered by faulty readings from a MAF.

Do you access to VAGCOM? A scan of the ESP module can help determine whats going on. I noticed you are in Toronto, if you'd like, contact us and we can diagnose the issue...no charge/obligation.

The burning smell from the middle of your car sounds like a separate issue.
MotorFabrik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:24 AM
  #3  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto Ont
Posts: 3
Artur is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Esp light? 2004 a4

I did take it to my mechanic he did say there was something wrong with wheel sensor (front right) he said he calibrated the sensor but the the ESP still came on..so he told me to first go get my alignment done and we will go from there.
I do have CEL on but that's also from my bank 2 sensor that gone, i think that sensor helps the car heat up or is for the oxygen? not sure ... but with this new problem the CEL did blink a couple of times so i think it would be on now anyway
Its a 3.0L

Thanks

Last edited by Artur; 06-19-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Artur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:25 AM
  #4  
awd pwns!
 
AF Site Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,040
AF Site Team has disabled reputation
Default

Welcome to AudiForum.ca Artur.
AF Site Team is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 PM
  #5  
Audi Forum - Posts like a Q5
 
a4audi4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver,BC
Posts: 579
a4audi4fun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Esp light? 2004 a4

Your car's in the 10+ year range - the sensor measures wheel speed by "counting teeth" on a portion of the wheel hub. My old B5 had corroded teeth that provided bad sensor info. That car was about 10 yrs old at the time. Might be worth checking.
a4audi4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:24 PM
  #6  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Esp light? 2004 a4

Originally Posted by Artur View Post
I did take it to my mechanic he did say there was something wrong with wheel sensor (front right) he said he calibrated the sensor but the the ESP still came on..so he told me to first go get my alignment done and we will go from there.
I do have CEL on but that's also from my bank 2 sensor that gone, i think that sensor helps the car heat up or is for the oxygen? not sure ... but with this new problem the CEL did blink a couple of times so i think it would be on now anyway
Its a 3.0L

Thanks
Hi Artur,

It looks like you have a couple of issues going on at the same time here.
To rule out the wheel sensor, a VAGCOM diagnosis is required. A scan of the ABS module can bring up any codes. There is no calibration for a wheel speed sensor and an alignment will not remove a wheel sensor code.

What Bank 2 Sensor is the code for? The blinking CEL indicates a misfire ...not attending to misfires will lead to plugged cats.
MotorFabrik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 PM
  #7  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto Ont
Posts: 3
Artur is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Esp light? 2004 a4

Originally Posted by MotorFabrik View Post
Hi Artur,

It looks like you have a couple of issues going on at the same time here.
To rule out the wheel sensor, a VAGCOM diagnosis is required. A scan of the ABS module can bring up any codes. There is no calibration for a wheel speed sensor and an alignment will not remove a wheel sensor code.

What Bank 2 Sensor is the code for? The blinking CEL indicates a misfire ...not attending to misfires will lead to plugged cats.
Bank 2 sensor 1
Artur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 PM
  #8  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 185
MotorFabrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Esp light? 2004 a4

Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Bank 2 sensor 1
Hi Artur,

If you are referring to the 02 sensor on bank 2, sensor 1, the CEL is probably being triggered by the misfires and not the cause of. We still have to determine why your vehicle is misfiring.
MotorFabrik is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
neothe1
A4-B6 - (Typ 8E/8H, 20012005)
10
09-23-2016 08:33 PM
mikep
MK1 Audi TT - 19982006
15
11-23-2010 02:45 PM
Cundy
A4-B6 - (Typ 8E/8H, 20012005)
12
09-02-2010 08:37 AM
SH4GGY
A4-B6 - (Typ 8E/8H, 20012005)
2
03-09-2010 04:55 PM
Doug
Audi Mailing List
1
08-31-2005 05:39 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Esp light? 2004 a4


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.