Notices

Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:37 PM
  #1  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 31
Gymbeau is on a distinguished road
Default Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Hi. I just got a 2005 A4 Avant, 3.0 liter V6, and noticed the above sound - kind of as if a flywheel or something were slowing down and stopping - when I shut off the engine. Sorry for the non-technical description, but I'm an oaf technically.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a normal condition. I don't think I've heard it with other cars I've driven, so am obviously curious. The car seems in exquisite shape so I find this sound a tad weird.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Cheers,
Jim
Gymbeau is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
  #2  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
deeznutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: auroura
Posts: 32
deeznutz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Normal!
deeznutz is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 AM
  #3  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 31
Gymbeau is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
Normal!
That's what I was hoping! Thanks for the info.
cheers
Jim
Gymbeau is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 AM
  #4  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 21
cyrusli is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

It's definitely normal. It's just the fans winding down (in case you are wondering what it is..)
cyrusli is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM
  #5  
Audi Forum - Posts like an S4
 
Tim$2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 207
Tim$2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

I'd always assumed it was the fans winding down but it's good to hear that from someone else.
Tim$2 is offline  
Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
  #6  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 31
Gymbeau is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Originally Posted by cyrusli View Post
It's definitely normal. It's just the fans winding down (in case you are wondering what it is..)
Thanks for responding. Glad to hear my new car isn't going to blow up or something after having it less than two weeks!
Cheers,
Jim
Gymbeau is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
  #7  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 143
pablo_ottawa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Wait a minute... What fans??? The rad fans don't come on unless the engine is overheating or the AC is on. A 3.0L V6 doesn't have a turbo... I have a 1.8T and my winding down noise always happens when I cut the engine and this is because the turbo is spooling down.... But on a 6 cylinder????

I'm sorry, I don't mean to alarm anyone but EXACTLY where would a winding down noise come from in a 3.0L V6?
pablo_ottawa is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
  #8  
iTrader: (1)
 
1move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ....
Posts: 2,543
1move is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Originally Posted by pablo_ottawa View Post
Wait a minute... What fans??? The rad fans don't come on unless the engine is overheating or the AC is on. A 3.0L V6 doesn't have a turbo... I have a 1.8T and my winding down noise always happens when I cut the engine and this is because the turbo is spooling down.... But on a 6 cylinder????

I'm sorry, I don't mean to alarm anyone but EXACTLY where would a winding down noise come from in a 3.0L V6?
Turbo spooling down?

It could be the radiator fan, the AC fan, the compressor, the heating fans inside the vehicle and so on. All of our cars do it, you cant even hear the turbo spool down (and you are using the wrong term) nor does it spool anywhere near idle, so you my friend are mistaken.
1move is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
  #9  
Audi Forum - Posts like an A4
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 143
pablo_ottawa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Well I may be mistaken but I'm aware of the sounds my car makes and so is my mechanic. To boot I'm no stranger to auto repair so I know my cars pretty well and the sound I'm hearing is definitely my turbo spooling down (yes that's the proper term).

Now since I don't have a 6 cyl I'd recommend the OP try getting the car to running temp and them have someone shut off the car while he's under the hood so that maybe he'll be able to tell where the noise is coming from.
pablo_ottawa is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
  #10  
iTrader: (1)
 
1move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ....
Posts: 2,543
1move is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?

Originally Posted by pablo_ottawa View Post
Well I may be mistaken but I'm aware of the sounds my car makes and so is my mechanic. To boot I'm no stranger to auto repair so I know my cars pretty well and the sound I'm hearing is definitely my turbo spooling down (yes that's the proper term).

Now since I don't have a 6 cyl I'd recommend the OP try getting the car to running temp and them have someone shut off the car while he's under the hood so that maybe he'll be able to tell where the noise is coming from.
First time I heard that term, but hey english is my 5th language Either way I know my cars well and I think its the radiator fan. I think its just a coincidence that the OP has noticed it when he shuts the car off. Also some of them tend to stay on until the car is cooled off even when the engine is off. I am sure the issue was resolved as the origianl question was posted 5 months ago.
1move is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it normal to hear a "winding down" noise?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.